Thursday 7 January 2010

Alu posto and my chef-brother

My brother is a chef, which is a boon for somebody like me who cooks just because she has to eat. But there's a con to his chef-ness too, which struck me across my face this morning.
I usually tend to leave all the cooking and discussions on cooking to my mom, my aunts and my brother. I hold my tongue even when something assaults my limited knowledge of cuisine and cookery. And, in the true tradition of live and let live, I expect others to hold their tongue when it is my turn!! Expectations, they say, are disastrous.
I wanted to make alu posto (khus khus) for my family. There are very few things I know how to make well and this is one of those. So, when my five-star hotel chef of a brother came up with additions, subtractions and alterations to my recipe, I told him to let me have my way. The true gentleman that he is, he politely sidestepped.
But alas, his charm undid my alu posto. My mother, who had been listening to his recipe, internalised it. And of course, she embarked on making the dish his way, setting aside everything I had been telling her through the morning! And then, she also insisted that she thought it was my recipe she was following!
While I just left the kitchen to those who know it best, I also learnt a few lessons. Next time you want to impress anybody with your culinary skills, just follow this dialogue from The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (I think that's the movie): 'When you got to shoot, shoot. Don't talk'
So when you got to cook, cook. Don't talk and leave room for somebody else to hijack your recipe...cos that's a sure recipe for disaster!

Here's how I make alu posto

Chop the alu into small pieces.
Grind/Make khus khus into a fine paste on a sil nada/sil batta (All my Bong friends vouch for the specific taste that comes only if you use the right instrument, and I agree with them)
Heat the oil, put in green chilli more for the flavour than the taste.
Add the alu. Add salt, allow it to cook.
When it is cooked, add the posto (khus khus paste)
Allow it to mix well. It shouldn't be too dry or too wet.
Take it off the heat and dig in!!

It's amazing when it's eaten with luchis!!
Happy dining.

The five-star chef would, in true five-star tradition, want you to add chopped cashew nuts and almonds...You could try that too! After all, my brother cooks really well :) Thank God for that!

3 comments:

  1. Yummy!!! One of my favourites. I must ask Vishak to make it when I see him next.
    Just sit back and enjoy. And let the Brother cook and serve you!!
    Its a lot of fun too!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. KAJU in poshto!!!!! but WHY?

    ReplyDelete