Saturday 3 April 2010

I'm fat and I love myself

The Shoaib Malik-Sania Mirza-Ayesha (Maha Siddiqui) affair seems to be providing fodder for the gossip mills. And I would have let the three sort out their lives in private, had I not been drawn into the mess in my own private way.
A news report in a paper claims Shoaib dumped Ayesha because she was fat. Now, there's also a report quoting the family as saying 'Shoaib was duped thinking he was speaking to slim, beautiful Ayesha'. Which is funny when you read it. I mean, ya, he's famous and might want to have a trophy wife (like he'll now be hoping to get, and by trophy I mean the slim beautiful variety of women he seems to prefer as well as the kind who has some trophies to her credit).
At some level, his wanting a slim wife can be forgiven and forgotten as one of those numerous cases of 'fair, slim, homely bride' wanted columns in matrimonial sections of newspapers and websites.
I would have let it pass, had I not heard a colleague and a dear friend comment a few days ago, 'Why on earth would HE marry a fat ugly girl like her'. Well, it's surprising how my friends never pause to think they are talking to a fat woman when they throw such comments left, right and centre. And she's not alone.
So many of my friends comment about fat women displaying their 'thunder thighs' at water parks, in mini skirts at parties, in tight clothes in office and elsewhere. Either they don't see me, don't see me as fat or don't think I'll mind, cos I'm on their side!! Come on people, get a life! There's so much to be done rather than focusing on how fate or thin I am.
Earlier it used to be a bit painful to keep a straight face and ignore the comments, now I've got used to me and can just ignore the ludicrous observations with an indifferent smile.
It's hilarious when some people who make these comments are not the slimmest you could find on the planet anyway!
And hey! It almost seems fat people should be ashamed they are fat! They can't get married, shouldn't wear clothes they feel they are comfortable in if it is tight, or should simply hide from the rest of humanity for the rest of their lives and grow fatter within the four walls of their homes until they die (wonder if they would shrivel up and die though).
Somebody had a Facebook status message I've grown to love: God loved me so much, he made more of me. (Well, of course, I kept adding to it more, cos I love myself so much!!!)
To all those people who think life is all about being slimmer, more beautiful, fairer, taller...Wake up! there's more to life. Be happy with who you are! And if you are not, then work towards what you think will make you happy.
I'm fat, I'm fit, I'm a beautiful person and I'm happy about who I am. Wonder how many less fat people could say that with the same confidence.
(You would be forgiven for thinking I am fat as there's a lot of hot air in me, but no people, it's all the goodness that's packed in. As they say, good things come in small packages)

7 comments:

  1. Ajkal sab kuch market ke hisab se ho raha hai...jaisa market trend waisi logon ki soch...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry babes if my ayesha comment upset u ...it was more on how she looked dan her weight but neways...and u r rite, u r beautiful and sexy in your own way ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. wudnt hav commented but for anon's comment... boss, logon ke soch ko hi 'market' kaha jata hai!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @anon: sab bikau hai? iman bhi? kab tak factory me ek hi type ki cheezen banti rahengi? kuch to alag ho...
    @restlessoul: no babes. it didn't upset me. it amused me. Thanx for the compliment though :D
    @Chaila Bihari: first reply applies to u too I guess

    ReplyDelete
  5. I still love my Fatty Chubby Lovely Sister :P. You the best sister :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Arre Bihari ji...market sirf ek tarah ka hota hai..aur is dharti pe jitne aadmi/aurat hain utne tarah ki soch hoti...isliye soch ko market nai kaha ja sakta...haan, ye keh sakte ho..zyadatar log ye sochte hain..ki market hi sab kuch hai...par, laanat hai aise logon par aur aisi soch par...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi there,Anusha If you are comfortable with yourelf that's all that counts.There's more substance to our opinions and more weight to our arguments.Viva La Fatsos....usha amma

    ReplyDelete