Wednesday 21 April 2010

Hazaron Khwaishen Aisi

Hazaron Khwaishen Aisi...
Some people will be very hurt if I say I was disappointed after all I had heard about it. At many layers, the movie seemed to be superficial...The story was written and everything had to be fit in. Characters interchanging, ideals wishy-washy, resting on 'revolution'. Was it my current state of mind that contributes to the disappointment?
What was not there? It was jumpy...Am still working on it...trying to figure out what is was that was bugging me through the film.
Maybe it was the convenience of it all. Everybody making 'convenient' choices to suit the narrative. Am not talking about the choices made by the characters, but the swinging nature of the characters...Something didn't fit in.
Siddharth being so passionate about one thing that he chooses his ideology over his love more than once. Siddharth, who has put his life on the line for the 'revolution' abandoning it once he's given up for dead, letting go of the same people who saved his life. At least he's constant about saying 'Sorry Geeta' for abandoning her at every corner.
Geeta Rao, educated abroad, who joins the movement to be with Sidharth, to please him and impress him, ends up working in remote villages. She gives up a husband who loves her, a lover who comes to her resuce every time and goes back to the villages leaving behind the man for whom she took up the cause in the first place.
Vikram Malhotra, a 'fixer' who also tries fixing his Lady Love's life until his own life is rendered lifeless. Who makes fun of the revolution throughout...
Am I just too sleepy or not drunk enough or watching it alone...what is contributing to the disillusionment?
Imagine, the only shot repeatedly coming to mind is the one where the camera moves through the grass to a bleeding and badly beaten up Vikram lying in the fields. And I remember this for such a silly reason too...Not too long ago, someone I know shot a similar scene with my cell phone. Memories - how they tease me at times and elude me at others.
How I wish I could share the passion others share for this film...But then I guess, as Chacha said ages ago and people have repeated ever since,
'Hazaron Khwaishen Aisi...'