Saturday 19 September 2009

A swim, a step and a lesson

What's age got to do with doing what you love? Nothing, probably.
At least two people I have seen have inspired me to just give life your best shot and not bother about results. Both are in their late seventies and move about with the aid of walking sticks. They look like any other ageing people, who have lived their life and are now ready for the final journey. But something makes them different.
I saw one of them participating at a Shiamak Davar Institute of Performing Arts summer funk event. He was dancing with youngsters at least one third his age. His agility, spirit and moves out-shadowed those who performed that day. The flourish with which he took a bow with the other dancers in his group just sent the message home. When you are doing what you love, that's what matters most. The rest will fall in place. And mind you, he didn't touch his walking stick till he came up on stage to be introduced to the audience.
And the other person, I saw today at the pool. He was quite overweight. But that did not interfere with his strokes. He just swam with ease and pleasure. When I saw him leave the pool premises leaning on his walking stick, I couldn't help but decide that I would not give up till I reached my target of one kilometre today.
They probably will never know they have inspired somebody so much, but that only adds to the charm of what they do. For they do it for themselves.
I hope I can learn and imbibe this spirit of living life to the fullest, on my terms and living by example. My salute to both of them.

1 comment:

  1. Just began reading you, just posted a comm on the 1km milestone. Then I read this. Was in two minds about telling you -- I salute your spirit -- it seemed a bit kiss-ass on a blog.
    Then thought,"What the hell, we both know thats not true!!"
    Hats off to you, dear one!

    ReplyDelete