Wednesday 14 October 2009

Rag doll

I made a doll the other day,
Nurtured her with all my love,
Clothed her with my affection,
And dreamed many dreams for her.

Gave her the best money could buy,
A sound education to guide her life,
Trained her to think,
To be independent,
To ask questions,
To follow her heart with courage and conviction

But when she did follow her heart,
And made a choice that fell below my expectations,
When she did stumble on the path I chose for her,
I couldn't help but berate myself.
I couldn't but help regret giving her the wings to fly

Now that she wanted to fly the cosy nest
I had built with nights of wakeful vigilance
Sacrifices made with a loving heart
Criticisms from the world I dammed within myself,
I felt my heart would break when she flew

I felt the fear of the lives I had seen ruined
Cast their shadows over her future
I mourned my love for her, my blinded love
That forbade me from shackling her dreams
When she was dreaming
All I could see was the path she took
Was the path not chosen by me

And it was a path less travelled,
A path less known,
And a path I had little faith in.
And I had not the confidence my princess
Would cover the distance she chose

But somewhere something nagged me
The fear that a wrong decision she made
Would show badly on how I brought her up
So I took back what I gave her,
The confidence she had in my faith
The conviction of her choices
The beacon of her dreams

But at least my doll is with me now
A bit bruised here, a bit bruised there
But at least she will be safe in my embrace
At least she will be happy in my gaze
To measure up, to show off and to love unconditionally again

1 comment:

  1. lovely post! But we do have to let our daughters go away.....Otherwise, we soon become the person who tried to hold onto the bird he loved so tight that the bird died due to suffocation...

    ReplyDelete